Body Evolution is always looking for good ideas to share with our patients when it comes to making healthy lifestyle changes easier. Here is a list of 15 Tips for Buying Organic on a Budget… there are some great ideas here!
15 Tips for Buying Organic on a Budget
1. Buy in season. This not only ensures you get the biggest bang for your buck, it also means your produce will taste “as it should” – full of flavor and perfectly ripe.
2. Stretch some meals with beans.
3. Become a member of a CSA or Co-op. Get a box of fresh, all organic produce for a fraction of what you’d pay at the store. Check Local Harvest for a CSA near you.
4. Utilize pantry staples. Pantry staples reduce the need or urge to order out by ensuring you can whip up a meal with only a few fresh ingredients from the store.
5. Order organic, unprocessed sweeteners from Amazon. They have a program called “Subscribe and Save” that enables you to buy products at a discount and get free shipping.
6. Make your own alcoholic beverages at home.
7. Make your own junk food. We all like to cut loose at times, but “junk” food can cost a pretty penny and usually isn’t very healthy.
8. Grow your own herbs.
9. Buy in bulk.
10. Buy your organic meats straight from the farm and save hundreds each year. Check online to find an organic farm near you.
11. Make your own breads, hamburger buns, pizza crust, and granola bars.
12. Buy whole foods instead of packaged foods. Why pay for cardboard and plastic when you could use that money to buy food?
13. Plan your meals. Meal planning saves money. It limits the spontaneous desire to go out to eat and you also only buy the ingredients you truly need.
14. Be Discerning. If you can’t afford to buy entirely organic, choose wisely which items to pay more for. A good rule of thumb is to buy organic fruits and vegetables that have thin skins (like apples and berries). These foods tend to absorb the most pesticides and herbicides. Remember the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean 15”!
15. Find coupons on the internet.
We borrowed this information from a great blog online! Read the entire original article Deliciously Organic article here: http://deliciouslyorganic.net/15-tips-for-buying-organic-real-food-on-a-budget/